Ciprofloxacin is a synthetic chemotherapeutic antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone drug class It is a second generation fluoroquinolone antibacterial. It kills bacteria by interfering with the enzymes that cause DNA to rewind after being copied, which stops DNA and protein synthesis.
In the adult population, ciprofloxacin is limited to the treatment of proven bacterial infections such as:
- Urinary tract infections (not recommended as a first line antibiotic)
- Acute uncomplicated cystitis in females
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis (not recommended as a first line antibiotic choice)
- Lower respiratory tract infections (not recommended as a first line antibiotic choice)
- Acute sinusitis (not recommended as a first line antibiotic choice)
- Skin and skin structure infections
- Bone and joint infections
- Infectious diarrhea
- Typhoid fever (enteric fever) caused by Salmonella typhi
Uncomplicated cervical and urethra gonorrhea (due to N. gonorrhoeae) – however, this indication is no longer effective in some areas (i.e. Asian countries, United States (including Hawaii), Canada and Scotland) due to bacterial resistance. Fluoroquinolones are no longer recommended in the USA for this indication.
Ciprofloxacin IV Infusion
200mg / 5ml 100 ml bottle